Unlike some of my previous reader polls, I didn’t quite receive 100 reponses to this one (only 87), but it’s a fair representation of at least what you, my readers (the most important people, natch!), believe are the best covers of this new Century so far . . . Also known as the past seven years. There were many selections I hadn’t heard of, and haven’t been able to find, either, like Beth Orton’s cover of Ooh Child; Grizzly Bear’s cover of Graceland; Self doing the Doobie Brothers’ What A Fool Believes; The Benjamin Gate’s take on Overkill (Men At Work); Viva Voce’s "Eye In The Sky (Alan Parsons Project);" and Phantom Planet's version of She Must Be Somebody's Baby. If anyone out there has one of these, PLEASE SHARE!!
There were also many votes for various tunes by Petra Haden, Feist, Cobra Verde, Cat Power, KT Tunstall, and Nouvelle Vague, but they were so scattered between songs that the voting was split. There were also lots of votes for covers of Britney Spears songs (who knew she was such a fine songwriter?), but again, few votes for the same cover. (Some examples: Oops I Did It Again-Richard Thompson, and Toxic-Local H), as well as votes for coves of Such Great Heights (Postal Service) by both Iron and Wine and Ben Folds. Ben was highly represented, actually, with folks also voting for his take on Careless Whisper and, of course, the number 8 song below.
Finally, of course, there were tons of votes for tons of versions of Gnarls Barkley’s Crazy (see number 20), including, e.g., Ray Lamontagne and Shawn Colvin).
Here’s the list.
20. Crazy (Gnarls Barkley) – Raconteurs.
19. We Will Become Silhouettes (Postal Service) - The Shins.
18. Get UR Freak On (Missy Elliot) – The eels.
17. and 16. (tie)
Handle with Care (Travelling Willburies)-Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins.
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (Stones)- Cat Power.
15. Wicked Game (Chris Isaak)-H.I.M.
14. Since U Been Gone (Kelly Clarkson) - Ted Leo. A few folks voted for “Since U Been Gone/Maps,” and I counted those for this song, too.
13. Beautiful (Christina Aguilera) - Clem Snide. Another of my personal favorites.
12. . . . Baby One More Time (Britney)- Travis.
11. and 10. (tie)
Wonderwall (Oasis) - Ryan Adams.
Too drunk to fuck (Dead Kennedys) - Nouvelle Vague.
9. This Must Be the Place (Naïve Melody) (Talking Heads) - Arcade Fire.
8. Bitches Ain't Shit - Ben Folds (NWA).
7. Comfortably Numb (Pink Floyd)- Scissor Sisters.
6. Common People (Pulp)- William Shatner. I find it stunning that so many people like this. Do you guys honestly listen to it, or is this a big joke you’re playing on me?
5. Hey Ya (OutKast)- Matt Weddle. One of at least a dozen well-done versions of this tune, this is the one that rose to the top of your votes.
4. Baby Got Back (Sir Mix A Lot) - Jon Coulton. If it were up to me, this would be number one.
3. Darling Nikki (Prince) - Foo Fighters. Frankly, I’m not sure this qualifies because I think it came out of the Colour and Shape sessions (1999), but I’m accepting it because it got an amazing 15 votes.
2. Jolene (Dolly Parton)- The White Stripes
1. Hurt (NIN) - Johnny Cash. Over a third of respondents picked this song, including myself. Rest in peace, JC.
Honorable Mentions: Ones that should have gotten more votes, but didn’t:
1.. The River (Springsteen)- Josh Ritter.
2. Wild Horses (Rolling Stones)-Iron and Wine with Calexico.
3. Careless Whisper (Wham!) - The Gossip.
4. Thriller (Michael Jackson)- Petra Haden
5. Anything from Tortoise & Bonnie 'Prince' Billy’s “The Brave And The Bold” album.
Okay, now drop comments about how I'm an idiot based on this list that I didn't even make. G'head. You know you want to.