LEOPOLD AND HIS FICTION RELEASE A GREAT NEW RECORD—AND IT “AIN’T NO SURPRISE”



“One For Me To Find” has the title and sound of an old traditional. It begins with Daniel James’ forlorn voice, singing over a drumbeat and a murmuring organ, “I’ve got these outlaws chasing me . . . It’s hard to make amends, with myself and my dead friends . . .” It’s a perfect introduction for an album that sticks to Southern Rock basics, but manages to wind through Dead-like jams (“Sun’s Only Promise”), uptempo Allmans rock (“Ain’t No Surprise”), sauntering country pop (“Come Back (Now That I’m Here)”) and everywhere in between.

The band has always been the anti-corporate antidote to Kings of Leon, and a more grounded, song-based version of My Morning Jacket. They continue their tradition on their latest release, “Ain’t No Surprise.” With so many bands making music like this nowadays, it’s hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. But you can’t go wrong with Leopold and His Fiction. They’ve got solid songwriting, complete control over their instruments, and vocals that kick ass.

Come Back (Now That I'm Here)

BONUS SOUTHERN ROCK COVERS:


Time of the Season (Zombies)-My Morning Jacket

Slow Night, So Long (with Ed Vedder)-Kings of Leon


Digg!

Stumble It!
submit to reddit